2) Get outside! There are so many options to get sweaty while enjoying the fresh air. Winter hiking, cross-country skiing, skating, downhill skiing, and snowshoeing are great examples. An added bonus is to find an activity in which the whole family can participate! By getting your spouse and/or children involved you are leading through example that staying active is part of a healthy lifestyle and can be fun!
3) Find a workout buddy! Making ourselves accountable to someone else is great motivation if that is what you are lacking. When we encourage others to commit to a class or to a new workout schedule everyone benefits and it makes taking a day off a little more challenging! Choosing someone with a similar schedule, or who lives in close proximity is usually an effective option.
5) Set up a home gym! If leaving the house in -20°C is not for you, it may be easier and more affordable than you think to set up your home fitness space. All you need to get started is an exercise mat, resistance tubing, a few dumbbells, and an exercise ball. You can slowly grow your gym, as you like. Find plenty of at-home workouts here!
6) Try healthy new recipes! Eating right is 70% of our success in achieving desired health and fitness goals. By planning healthy recipes for the week, you are able complete your grocery shopping on the weekend in order to have all the necessary supplies for delicious and nutritious meals on hand. Find my favourite recipes here! Also check out La Oliva Gluten-Free Kitchen for inspiration, catering, and cooking classes!
7) Stay healthy this winter! Missing work, workouts, and other events during “cold and flu season” can put a damper on your life. By taking daily supplements, such as oil of oregano and echinacea, taking a multivitamin, getting your influenza immunization, and making sure to eat plenty of seasonal fruits and vegetables (check out SPUD to have them delivered to your door!), you can keep your immune system ready to fight. Washing your hands and using alcohol-based sanitizers frequently will also decrease your chance of getting sick.
8) Take your workout anywhere! Holidays and vacations are not an excuse for taking a break from your exercise routine! Find a great “go anywhere” workouts here! They require minimal or no equipment to keep you fit wherever you are. OR, explore your warm travel destination by going for a run or renting bikes!
9) Keep up with your water intake! Even though you might not be as thirsty during the winter as in the summer months, staying hydrated is just as important. A great formula to show you how much water you should be taking in is: (your weight ➗ 2) = _____ oz in water EVERYDAY! Are you getting enough?
10) Write it down! Make your workout a priority, just as you add meetings and appointments to your calendar, do the same with your exercise. If we commit to an allotted time, we are more likely to complete the routine successfully.