Thursday, 30 July 2015
This summer weather we are having is awesome. Enjoying the opportunities to get outside, be active, and enjoy some hot weather refreshments! I was recently introduced to cold brew coffee. Life. Changing. It’s no secret that I love drinking coffee and other than the fact that we like to mix some flavoured beans in with dark roast and always grind the beans fresh, I am fairly boring with my black coffee! I have tried cooling hot brew coffee in the fridge, but never find it as refreshing as I hope. This ColdBrew Coffee recipe, from Gimme Some Oven, was so easy and flavourful! I used my French press and delicious dark beans from Costa Rica.
I also love finding new healthy “treat” recipes. Quick and on-the-go snacks for any time of day and that are Little-approved! These Almond Joy Snack Bars from One Lovely Life taste like heaven and are so satisfying straight out of the freezer! I used more coconut than the recipe called for and swapped almond extract for coconut extract.
Sunday, 19 July 2015
I grew up tenting and love the memories our family created camping. My husband and I both love spending time outside, so naturally, camping has become one of our favourite summer adventures together. Nearly five years ago, our honeymoon was spent at three different campgrounds in our brand new Hubba Hubba tent and we loved it!!
When our family of two became three last year, we couldn't wait to bring our Little on adventures with us. She came tenting at two and a half months and did so well! Fast forward one year, to July 2015 and we were getting ready for a week long tenting trip through British Columbia (BC) with a 14 month old! ...crazy? Nope. ...adventurous? Definitely!
We stayed at six different campgrounds in 11 nights, with three nights in the middle in Kelowna with family. We hiked, biked, ran, walked, shopped, ate, played, swam, and made so many happy memories! Our sweet little girl did amazing and we are so excited that she seems to be a natural camper. After all, kids love spending time outside and who doesn't sleep well after spending all day breathing in the fresh air?
What we packed for her:
- KidCo PeaPod tent to sleep right beside us and be nice and comfortable in her usual travel bed
- Aden and Anais Cozy Plus Sleeping Bag to keep her warm on the cool nights in the Rockies
- North Face Glacier One Piece to keep her warm throughout the night, with the options of tucking her hands and feet in
- regular pyjamas for warmer nights
- Phil&Teds Lobster Portable High Chair to use wherever we went. This fit on at all the campgrounds' picnic tables!
- Outbound Kids' Folding Chair for around the campsite
- Chariot Cougar 2 bike trailer (and stroller)
- LittleLife Ultralight S3 child backpack carrier for both hiking and browsing main street!
- IKEA Sandig toys which were great for playing at the campsite in the dirt, on a mat, as well as at the beach!
- books! ...and bought a few more on our journey!
- a lot of wet wipes
- clothes that wash easily
- bathing suit
- toothbrush and comb
- Adventure Towl for quick drying
- natural bug spray
- regular bug spray
- an extra blanket for cool nights and one as a play/picnic blanket
I love vacations that are full of physical activity and healthy food! Being in the mountains, we naturally plan physical activity into our day as it helps us explore the area! In BC, it is easy to find beautiful fresh fruits and vegetables and we indulged! Camping will continue to be part of our summer vacations and I look forward to planning our next outdoor adventures as a family!
Tuesday, 14 July 2015
Although I am fully enjoying this gorgeous summer and hope you are too, Fit Your Life is preparing for the Fall session and I want your input! Please complete the survey on the main page or here. If you provide your email address when completing, you will be entered into a draw for these great items from VitaMart.ca!!
Survey closes July 31, 2015
Thank you for your feedback! I look forward to seeing you sweat soon!