Another stuffed veggie!
Stuffed with quinoa, black beans, mushrooms, and corn, these peppers make a satisfying vegetarian main course. Poblanos are among the mildest chiles, although they offer a nice zing! Chipotle chiles are smoked, roasted jalapenos, usually sold in cans with a spicy adobo sauce.
Stuffed Poblanos in Chipotle Sauce
4 large poblano chiles
2 tsp, plus 1 tbsp neutral tasting oil (canola or safflower)
1 tbsp chopped chipotle chile in adabo
1 garlic clove
Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
1/2 packed cilantro leaves, coarsely chopped
1/3 cup quinoa
8 ounces small mushrooms (white button or cremini, trimmed, cleaned, and quartered)
1 cup freshly or frozen corn kernels
1 can (15 ounces) black beans, drained and rinsed
4 ounces crumbled fresh goat cheese (1 cup)
1. preheat oven to 475 degrees. on a parchment-lined baking sheet, rub poblanos with 2 tsp oil. roast until slightly blackened and softened, 15-20 minutes, turning once. remove from oven. when cool enough to handle, remove skins with paper towels. use a paring knife to make a small slit in each chile, then carefully remove seeds (and discard), keeping stem end in tact.
2. in a blender, combine chipotle, garlic, 1 tsp salt, and 3/4 cup water, season with pepper. blend until smooth. add cilantro, and pulse once to combine.
3. in a small saucepan, bring 2/3 cup water to boil. add quinoa; return to a boil. stir once, cover, and reduce heat to simmer. cook until quinoa is tender, but still chewy and has absorbed all liquid, about 15 minutes. fluff with a fork.
4. meanwhile, in a large skillet, heat the remaining 1 tbsp oil over medium-high. add mushrooms and 1/2 tsp salt; season with pepper. cook, stirring occasionally, until mushrooms are tender, about 5 minutes. add corn and beans, and cook, stirring until heated through, about 2 minutes. stir in 1/2 cup goat cheese and the quinoa.
5. spread chipotle mixture evenly in a 9-by-13-inch baking dish. stuff peppers with filling, dividing evenly, and arrange in dish; dot with remaining 1/2 cup cheese. bake until golden, 15-20 minutes. remove from oven, and let cool in pan 10 minutes before serving
per serving: 324 calories, 3.2g saturated fat, 4.7g unsaturated fat, 12.6mg cholesterol, 49.5g carbohydrates, 14.4g protein, 910mg sodium, 9.4g fiber